On Tuesday 18th June I attended a seminar on e-safety in Torquay ( Seminar: Introduction to Online Safety – Social Media ) This is part of my on-going personal CPD commitment.
- Course included
- Different social media networks
- How children and young people use these networks,
- How adults use these networks, and how adult behaviour influences and or affects children, and young people, e.g sharenting.
- Screen time and apps / settings to help with this
- Positive / negatives of social media
- Sharing information
- What to look out for and what to discuss with children and young people, discuss own usage with C/YP so you can help them.
- Children don’t like being contacted by people they don’t know
- A TedX video on quitting social media. Debunking the arguments for not quitting. (very interesting)
- Social media, addiction, mental health
- Social media influencer and followers.
Left with lots of think about, and take forward to the Tech Jam and perhaps code club. Also have some resources that could be helpful. This was really useful for me as I don’t use mainstream social media. So keeping up to date with what is out there is essential.
Next course is on Sexting in September.